Friday, April 3, 2009

Gorditas El Gordo

I was recommended this place by a Mexican friend of mine for its authenticity. They press the masa when you order and fry that shit on the spot. Of course, there is definitely lard somewhere in the mix.



Notice the distinct lack of shitty, melty cheese. Its not that I don't like cheddar-like cheese, I just don't think it has any place on food like this. Queso Fresco... accept no substitute.

While I was eating, I looked up and saw this...



During the course of this project, I've realized how far I've come when it comes to food in the last 15 years. Growing up, I wasn't exposed to much variety and quality in culinary experiences. We ate pretty healthy(thankfully)... it just didn't taste too good. Fortunately, when you have a metabolism running at light speed, you really don't care. I could eat, and would eat, most anything... including as much fast food as I could get my hands on. I remember really thinking that McDonald's was a good restaurant.

Oh well, live and learn I guess. And other than a few occasions with unsavory consequences... here is to 11 years without fast food.

2 comments:

JosQ said...

Yes, we have come a long way when it comes to food. Back then, I thought McDonald food is for rich people b/c our parents were too poor to take us anywhere. One day, our aunt went on a date and they took us out to McDonald. Our eyes were wide. It was THE BEST food we have ever tasted. =) I still remain loyal to that memory, so I still love their french fries and Big Mac - yummy!

And yes, love the light speed metabolism. Hope I have it to the day I die but my love for food is ignoring all the signs - lol. Four people in my department are on the point system - that sucks!

I can just sleep right now but am waiting for my gf who is dying for a drink. TGIF!

Unknown said...

Okay, now my son is complaining about my cooking during his younger years, like I had time to cook, as I was working and also volunteering as his Sunday school teacher and a whole bunch of other stuff. I probably could have made some pretty fancy meals if I was home more, but I wasn't. I think I'll head for McDonalds. Love Kelly's mom, Gail XXXOOO