Friday, May 15, 2009

Today is the first day of the annual Art-a-Whirl festival in NE Minneapolis. I love the fact that since I've lived here, my neighborhood has gone from moderately 'seedy' to the undisputed artistic hub of the state. My favorite part about the transformation isn't the art, though. My favorite part is the way that the new, young artistic demographic has moved in but has done little to harm the staples that truly anchor the neighborhood.

On any given night, people on opposite sides of, well, everything mingle without friction with one and other. Make no mistake, though, there are exceptions... and the neighborhood would be an even better place if they would just go away. I can think of 3 places off hand that can fuck off. The Bulldog NE, The Red Stag, and the dreaded 331 Club. Really, just go back to Uptown where you belong... there is no shame in that. You're like really fashionably dressed vultures... parasites, even.





These photos are a metaphor which encapsulates my love for this neighborhood. Some people succeed in making art for art's sake. Some people make art on accident.

They both succeed. Only one cares.

1 comment:

koh said...

This project is well on it's way to being something big. I really do like it already.