Sunday, May 31, 2009

NE, sunday

I've been known to jump to conclusions at times when it comes to changes in my neighborhood. As I've stated before, I HATE the 331, The Bulldog, and the Red Stag. Its not only that they're shit, its that they're newcomers. I understand that this is stupid. I understand that I sound like a curmudgeonly, cantankerous old fuck. I don't apply this stupidity to everything, though. Restaurants get a free pass in my idiotic book. Bars do not.

Anyone who has been in this neighborhood long enough probably has a certain amount of nostalgia for Mac's sports bar. No, it wasn't in the mold of the sports bar of today, the mold which has effectively made certain that I will never enter another again. It had true class, real character. So when they knocked the fucker down and put up condos, you can probably imagine my angst.

Then, when a bar opened up across the street and named itself Mac's Industrial Sports Bar(?), I pretty much wrote that one off as well. Fortunately, I'm not quite as inflexible as I come across as being. Its a good place with good beer and good people. I'm not a fan of a bunch of windows in bars, though. Mac's is ALL fucking windows. This works fine in the summer. Come winter, I don't want to see that shit, I want to pretend I'm in Acapulco or something.



I'm even starting to warm up to the goddamn condos across the street. I still think the architects were arrogant pricks to design a building on the cheap that didn't resemble a fucking thing surrounding it, but whatever...

5 comments:

SJT said...

I love....nay.....HEART!!!! this photo of the folks. Beautiful.

Shit I write to you when you're an intolerable alcoholic and I want to leave you said...

You are a curmudgeon. However, you're phenomenal at it.

JosQ said...

Wow - you are not shy about voicing your many opinions to the public and you do it in away that is refreshing to read. Pretty funny about the window up during winter so you can pretend. I'm a window person and I do like the options to close the blinds. =) 43 minutes to June 1st and counting

JosQ said...

btw, since your energy for sharing strong opinions so freely is contagious, here's one back at you. new title is funny, but... when i think of chocolate, i think of it as my favorite aphrodisiac. Now you are associating my thinking to something different when I visit. This is the one change I don't like -- turning my love for food (dark chocolate in this case) into religious consciousness. Will I have to wait for another one hundred postings to see a change? =)

Lex said...

Saw a link to your blog on photo.net:
http://photo.net/casual-conversations-forum/00TjNk

Had to take a peek. Love the photo of the couple at the bar, with the gal's legs wrapped around his. Perfect.