Saturday, February 28, 2009

Brasa

Before Brasa even opened, I hated it. Of course, this is totally irrational, but it took over the spot vacated by my favorite place to get coffee and read the paper. So because of my own stupid sentimental crap, I never gave it a chance, until last year.

That was when I had the Great Pasta Disaster of 2008, where an entire batch of my own homemade pasta sauce ended up on the kitchen floor. I proceeded to calmly pour the rest of my bottle of wine into a mason jar, and drove to Brasa for the first time. I don't even remember what I had, but the experience was overshadowed by my kitchen clumsiness, as well as the fact that I was buzzed and driving around with a $25 chianti that I had turned into a roadie.

This time, my acumen was right where it needed to be for a meal at an establishment that has, since opening, garnered itself quite the reputation.

So, here is what I ate. Rotisserie chicken. Black-eyed peas with cornbread. Fried plantains.



So how was it, my three readers may be asking themselves? Let me put it like this. I have a few rules when it comes to food, and I adhere to these rules quite strictly. They are mostly for my health. One of them is that I don't eat chicken skin for the sake of eating chicken skin. Another is that unless its the 4th of July, I don't fucking eat pork. Well guess what, I was dipping the chicken skin into the red sauce like it was chips and salsa. And I couldn't even bring myself to eat around the pork bits in the black-eyed peas... just couldn't do it. I ate everything on my entire plate with reckless abandon. I was embarrassed for my self and my family, but I couldn't stop eating.



So, yeah, the moral of this story is that Brasa earned its stripes for a reason. Holy shit, it's good.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

you spelled sedimental wrong, its sentimental dork

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you haven't made a trip to Mickey's yet for your blog . . . the Spudnic is waiting.

JosQ said...

In our culture, we eat pork often, so you had me scare about pork.

I did a little search and it states that "Pork contains high quality complete protein with all nine essential amino acids critical for building and repairing body tissues and producing antibodies which fight off infection." http://www.kwic.com/~jamar/nutrition/index.shtml

Whew! That explains why you didn't like the bacon chocolate. That's too bad.

JosQ said...

Btw, we actually have a pork delicacy where it's pickled up with garlic and chili pepper. Apology to the readers, but it's a tad fun to gross you. hehe

And no, this doesn't mean you can join me in bashing my culture food. =)